Saturday, June 9, 2007

To crop or not to crop

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I ran across this photo on the wire today of the Mississippi State baseball players celebrating their defeat of Clemson in the NCCA super regional baseball tournament today. Associated Press photographer Jim Lytle took the Picture. I liked the layers of the joyful players and the fans in the background. I liked the player with his arm pointing toward the sky, but I didn't like all the dead space in the top corners of the background. If you crop the photo tighter, the emphasis is stronger on the players’ faces and you can still see the fans in the background. But you lose the body language of the arm in the air. What do you think? After looking at it again I lean toward the cropped version because the facial expressions are great and the crop really enforces that.

No comments: